Also known as Donetsk Sergey Prokofiev, this airport is located about 10km from the main city of Donetsk in Ukraine. It is an airstrip that has connected both local and international flights since the early 19 century and continues to be of great importance to the tourism of the country.
Donetsk airport is not what it used to be back in the 1940s. It recently received some renovation in 2012 to include more facilities in the airport as well as services like car rentals for tourists. When you arrive at the airport, there is no point waiting for a bus to be organized so you can move; a car hire will get you going right away.
Activities to do in Donetsk
This Ukrainian city is always abuzz with activities for the local tourists. It’s a place to have some exciting discoveries with your spouse or even family.
- The Park of Forged Figures - have you seen an entire park dedicated to sculpted figures before? If not, then make sure to drive down to the city hall area and you won’t miss the park. It contains over 50 finely sculpted figures with different personas. Some are serious looking, others goofy while others have an avante garde persona.
- Pushkin Boulevard - you can leave your car rental parked somewhere, then take a nice evening walk through the Pushkin Boulevard. There used to be an active factory planted there in the 19 century, but it got burned down and in its place this boulevard started cropping. Today it has expanded to include beautiful greenery, pristine looking fountains and several monuments.
- Donbass Arena - an open public arena where several football matches are held; both local ones and international friendlies. When the football fever is over, the Donbass arena also serves as a great place for musicals and other theatrical acts.
- FC Shakhtar Museum - this is a museum cum arena that gives a detailed account of the Donetsk’s football club history; Shakhtar FC. The historical details are accounted in films, pictures, personal items used by legendary players in the club, sculptures and so much more. The FC Shakhtar museum gives every detail you will want to know about the club right from the year 1936.
- Mertsalov’s Palm - this monument is an imitation of the 1895 steel sculpture that was forged by the famous artist Alexey Mertsalov. Tourists who come to view it loved this lovely piece of imitation nevertheless and even gave it a nickname ‘The Soul of Donbass’.
There are more attractions in Donetsk you can explore in your car rental. Find as many as you can!