Islamabad International Airport is now known as Benazir Bhutto International Airport. It is the 3rd largest airport in Pakistan and it serves the cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi in Punjab Province. This military and civil airport handles pubic scheduled operations for a large number of airlines. When visiting Islamabad, you can choose to hire a vehicle at this airport. This will give you the best opportunity to travel in comfort after disembarking from your plane.
Attractions in Islamabad
Islamabad has many attractions to enjoy includes parks, viewpoints, museums, shrines and mosques among others. It remains a city where individuals come from all over the country to enjoy its nose free and peaceful atmosphere that has nice surrounding scenery. This city also serves as a base camp for people who are visiting valleys such as Kaghan an Swat and northern areas such as Hunza, Gilgit, Chitral and Skardu. You can enjoy the following when touring Islamabad in your rental car.
- Daman-e-Koh – This is a viewpoint in the hills above E-6. It offers great views of Islamabad on clear days or nights. The flowers and greenery at different sites enhance its beauty. It is a favorite place for foreign and local tourists because of its high quality restaurants that serve good food, hiking trails, live music and green hillsides.
- Japanese Park – This is a park for children, which is located close to the Islamabad zoo. It is popular with families due to its children's swings and park facilities.
- Lake View Park – This is a beautiful park located on the northern side of Rawal Lake. It has picnic spots, gardens and secluded paths. It also has an aviary, climbing walls and a go-kart track. The lake and terraced garden are used for boating and fishing. Private clubs organize sailing, boating, diving and water skating activities. To the west of Rawal Lake is Islamabad Club, which offers several sporting activities.
- Imam Bari Shrine – This is a historical shrine of a Sufi saint that is situated in the valley of Nurpur Shahan.
- Faisal Masjid – This is the most recognizable landmark in Islamabad. It is a large and beautiful mosque. When visiting this mosque, you should act and dress respectfully because it is a place of serious worship. It is open to non Muslims when prayers are not being held.
- Islamabad zoo – This is a zoo situated at the foot of the Daman-e-Koh view point. This zoo is home to more than three hundred animals, including lions, tigers and two hundred different types of birds among other types of wildlife.
Driving yourself when touring Islamabad is convenient because you can stop anywhere you wish. There are many car rental firms at Islamabad International Airport that offer good deals for rental cars depending on the needs of a customer.