Invercargill Airport is a well-ordered airport located in the most southerly part of New Zealand. Its distance from the main city center is an approximate 1.2km which can easily be covered in a car rental. There are several vehicle leasing companies you will find within the terminal and which offer great rates.
So if you and your friends or family is looking for a convenient way to move around the city, car rental is your best choice. Not only do you have freedom in your time schedule, you are also at liberty to determine how many tourist attractions you are going to visit.
The best attractions in Invercargill
Here are some activities to indulge in your New Zealand holiday.
- Oreti Beach - what a great way to start your overseas holiday than with a swim in the cool waters of the Oreti. There are plenty of water activities you can do like snorkeling, scuba diving or even shell hunting at the shores. Oreti is also known for its raging waves which is perfect to surf your afternoons off, then later you can relax at the beach house.
- Fiordland National Pack - being the largest national park in New Zealand, it derives its name from the landmark ice cave fiords within the national park. Moreover, the Fiordland national park is home to a host of attractions like the breathtaking Lake Te Anau, immaculate looking mountains bathed in granite and pristine valleys. This the perfect place for high adrenaline activities like Alpine tramping or climbing through the cut out trails.
- Rakiura Track - take a trip to Steward Island and you will stumble on this 29km track perfect for tramping. It is tucked inside Rakiura national park and offers a perfect place for a walking adventure. It is said one can walk almost two to three days in this park.
- Southland Museum of Art - when you are driving your car rental on Gala Street, ask around for this landmark art gallery. It houses a number of art collections from artists in the region as well as historical artifacts collected over the years.
- Water Tower - this is one of the oldest landmarks in Invercargill town. While at the museum point, you can take a peak over the landscape of the town and you will see this water tower. If you have a burning desire for a shot of the city’s skyline, you can drive to the tower and climb the entire 40meter structure for your pixel adventure.
Try and discover plenty other attractions in Invercargill before returning your car rental at the airport.