Hokitika airport is a small airport located about 2km from the main town Hokitika, South Island New Zealand. It is also known as the hub for the South Island, west coast thanks to its ever active state of ferrying tourist offer. Also within the airstrip are a number of car rental companies with the best rates for a vehicle to get you around the city.
Things to do in Hokitika
With the right climate and an environment that promises so many adventures, you just can never miss something to do in this town. From sampling locally made products to hikes in the most adventurous regions, New Zealand will definitely give you a taste of the thrill in its attractions.
- The best of trails - what can be more fascinating than taking a hike with you and your family around Lake Kaniere. You can choose to hike, take a stroll, backpack, tramp what your heart desires. And while on your trail spree, you won’t miss some of the exotic that perch around like the Pukeko, Bellbirds, Tuils or the Fantails.
- House of Wood - now you can never complete a visit to this place without carrying home a gift or souvenir. The House of Wood is where all your souvenir desires are met with an array of handmade product display for sale. Made purely from wood, items sold range from cutlery to interesting sculptures done by the locals. If you cannot carry home a live Kiwi, how about a wooden one?
- The Clock Tower - they say this is the most known landmark in the area so you can’t to view and take a photo of it. With your car rental, you only need to take a drive to the junction where the Sewel and Weld Street meet. This is a memorial clock that commemorates those New Zealand soldiers who were lost in the Boer war.
- The Glass Studio - ever seen glass being blown into a beautiful sculpture? This Glass studio will stun you with the crystal beauty displayed around. If you want to take a piece home, make sure you make the purchases on the spot because the price doubles when sold out of the studio.
- The Dell - this can be a random plot with you and your friends or the best alternative if you have no idea what to do with your evenings. The Dell is the home of the glow worms and they come out at night creating a spectacular light trail on the ground.
This is not all you can do in Hokitika, there are more places to visit and your car rental will give you the best access.