A bubbling city sitting on the banks of Lake Pamvotis, Ioannina is served by the Ioannina Airport. Even before landing on the runway upon arrival in this bubbly city, it is evident that the land is a haven of beauty. A beauty that exists both in the natural landscape as well as in the rich history the city and its surroundings hold. Why not make the most off all the city has to offer by getting a rent a car service? See, car hire will be:
- Faster than public transport
- Offer more private space
- Cheaper than taxi
- Suitable for a large family touring the city together
- Easier to use when moving around
- Better for accessing remote places off the beaten path
- You can have the car for keeps, until you return it to Ioannina Airport when you are leaving. Or at the agreed collection point.
Driving in Greece
Before getting a car rental at Ioannina Airport though, it is best to familiarize yourself with the rules of the land so that you are not found in violation of them. A couple of things you should know about Greece:
- To be on the safe side in the event of an accident, rent your car hire vehicle using an international license. Without one, insurance coverage will be nullified and the driver will be fined heavily.
- Greek drivers can be quite an aggressive lot and so watch out for fellow road users’ behavior; especially motorcycles – which account for the most accident victims.
- Seatbelts should be worn at all times.
- It is prohibited to carry children blow 10 years of age in the front seat. They should be seated at the back.
- Speed limit is 50kph in residential areas and 100-120kph on highways.
- Most gas stations do not accept credit cards.
- It is not uncommon to have road-blocks where police will be administering breathalyzer tests for alcohol. Avoid drunk driving seeing as it is heavily fine too.
When you leave the Ioannina Airport, some of the driving regulations may scare you at first, but not to worry. Majority of the traffic problems are in Athens and so driving in Ioannina should be fairly peaceful. There are plenty of attractions at your disposal in this bubbly warm city. Drive down in your car rental to the castle of Ioannina or to the cave. If you are tired of driving around, the market is one place you could go and sample the cuisine of the land as well as interact with the locals. For the romantic at heart, how about taking a nature walk? It would reveal a magical landscape away from the buzz of the city.