Commonly known as Asturias International Airport, Oviedo airport, handles both domestic and international flights. On average in a year, the terminal receives more than 1.3 million passengers. It is worth noting that is the only international hub in Asturias, Spain. It is located 47 km from the capital, Oviedo. If you are visiting this region, chances are that you will use this terminal. The capital has lots of amazing tourist attractions, whether you are on a business trip or on a holiday.
However, to enjoy most of the attraction sites, ensure to rent-a-car so that you can drive to most of the attractions. Oviedo Airport hosts car hire companies from where you can find a car of your choice. When renting a car, it is important to put your needs in consideration. Remember if you have your family, a vehicle with larger cargo capacity is necessary. It is also essential to ask the companies for free quotes, to enable you compare the prices. Another thing, do not wait until you are at Oviedo airport to find a rental car. This is something you should do some weeks before travelling. It will save you the agony of being delayed at the airport.
Oviedo is everyone’s destination when they come to Spain and for all the good reasons. Here are some of the places you should visit:
- St. Francisco Field - It is locally known as Campo de San Francisco. The park is situated right in the heart of the capital of Oviedo. When you want a breath of fresh air, this park within the city should be your ultimate destination. It contains about 127 species of flora. Some of the main sceneries in the field include snail fountain, Alley of priests and Bombay Alley.
- Gothic cathedral - This cathedral is located about 350 meters from the Park; hence, you can kill two birds with a single stone, by visiting both sites at the same time. The church dates back to 1821. Actually, its construction was launched in the 13th century. It has been rebuilt severally, but it still carries the historical Spanish architectural works.
- Estate of Magdalene - This is a villa with a touch of French, circumscribed by a series of lovely gardens. Built in 1902, Villa Magdalena still stands elegant and strong. It got its name from the last resident, who was the wife of Alfred Figaredo Herrero.
- Princess Letizia Congress Palace - It is set on the ground of Tartere Carlos, which was formerly a football stadium. The palace was designed and constructed by Santiago Calatrava, to honor Princess Letizia, who was born in the capital Oviedo. It consists of two floors and covers an area of 15777 square meters. You should see this magnificent piece of architecture; it is only an hour drive from the Oviedo Airport.
- Camara Santa - the Holy Chamber is housed in the cathedral. It features roman architectural designs. It was built in the 9th century. It is most visited by Christians from all walks of life, since it shelters the Sudarium, the cloth Jesus worn on his head.
While Oviedo has a good transport network, for the best experience consider car hire services. When you rent-a-car, you are able to customize your travel plan to your needs and interests. Furthermore, you are likely to control the little ones when you have your own car than when you are in public transport vehicle.