Tocumen Airport is an international airport that is situated twenty four kilometers from Panama City in Panama. It underwent a renovation and expansion program in 2006 to improve its facilities. It is the busiest airport in Panama and Central America in terms of passenger traffic. Many car rental firms are represented at this airport and if you hire a car, you can easily get to your hotel or other destination. You will also travel conveniently as you enjoy the many attractions that Panama has to offer.
Tourist attractions in Panama
Panama is the largest city in the Republic of Panama and is also the capital. It has many environmental, historic and cultural attractions. You can also engage in many activities such as ecotourism, water sports and horseback riding among others. The following are some of the popular attractions in this city.
- Central Avenue – This is a great place to shop because Central Avenue is lined with many kinds of stores. You can choose to shop at the huge malls like Albrook and Multicentro. Since Panama is a crossing point between oceans, you can find anything you want here.
- Las Tablas – This is the capital of the Los Santos Province in Panama and it hosts several fiestas throughout the year.
- San Blas Islands – These islands are home to the Kuna people. They are mostly flat and small and are disappearing slowly as a result of rising sea levels. The residents of these islands live a traditional fishing and agriculture based life that is supported by tourism.
- Barro Colorado – You can take a day’s trip from Panama City to the Barro Colorado Island, which is situated in Gatun Lake. This is a man-made lake that was created when the Panama Canal was being constructed. Barro Colorado is a biological reserve that is considered to be one of the leading natural tropical laboratories in the world.
- Panama Canal – Cruising along the Panama Canal is a great experience. This canal is 50 miles long and was opened in 1914. You can opt to take a partial trip or tour the entire canal. You can drive your rental car alongside the cab. It has beautiful scenery and wildlife such as birds and crocodiles among others live along the banks.
- Panama Canal Museum – This museum is situated in the Casco Viejo area. The Panama Canal Museum showcases the spectacular engineering of the canal and what it took to build it.
The other places you can visit include Panama Viejo, Taboga and the Chiriquí Province. The best way to make the most out of your trip is to discover more places in Panama. This is definitely possible if you lease a car at Tocumen International Airport.