Ranked as one of the busiest train stations in all of France, Calais Train Station has various terminals and serves millions of tourists each year. Passengers are advised to book train tickets in advance in order to enjoy cheaper rates and have refund options in case they cancel their journey. In addition, booking a ticket prior gives one the edge of choosing the seat and class as well as enough time to have the ticket processed and delivered to them in good time. Apart from trains, there are various means of transport around the Calais Train Station such car hire services.
Places to visit
- The Calais Lighthouse - This tower stands 51 meters tall and if you are the adventurous type, then you will enjoy climbing up this tower. If you enjoy working out, then you will enjoy going up this tower and have a picturesque view of Calais.
- The Six Burghers Monument - Ranked as the most famous landmark in this city, this monument dates back to the 18th Century and it was inspired by the reign of England’s King Edward the third.
- Calais Town Hall - This town hall boasts a beautiful architecture and is loaded with historical importance. In addition, this town hall is one of the most outstanding landmarks in all of Calais. The construction of this town was stalled during the First World War and it was later completed after the war.
- The Citadel - Built in 1929, this fortification building was made by the heroes of Calais in a bid to maintain vigil in the then troubled city of Calais. This building was initially used as an empire and it served various rulers including King Edward the Second before the city gained its freedom in 1558.
- Eglise Notre-Dame de Calais - Also known as ‘The Church of Our Lady’, this church boasts a mixture of contemporary English and Flemish designs. This is actually the oldest buildings in Calais as it dates back to the 12th Century. Today, this church has a Gothic outlook and the renovations picked up after the church was demolished in the Second World War
- Calais Beaches - Do not miss an opportunity to explore and enjoy the pristine beaches of Calais that tend to stretch up to the Opal Coast. Enjoy a panoramic angle of the famous English Channel. Enjoy various activities such as Kayaking, Windsurfing and Sand Yachting among many other beach games while at it. You can access such areas using the services of a car hire from Calais train station.
There are various hotels in Calais and they range from high-end to mid-priced around the Calais Train Station and beyond. In addition, these hotels have parking lots and therefore, if you are using the services of a car rental, car parks should be the least of your worries.