Winnipeg international airport is also known as the James Armstrong Richardson airstrip and it serves the city of Winnipeg in Manitoba, Canada. This is your perfect gateway to getting into Canada and enjoying some of the greatest attractions on earth.
When you arrive at the airport, there are plenty of car rentals to take you around the city. You can choose to book online or hire on the spot at the airstrip terminal. The companies leasing out the vehicles have thousands of fleets which means you will always get a car that suits you.
Winnipeg Tourist Attractions to Visit
- The City Art Gallery - what greater way to start your holiday in Canada than to view some of the best artistic talents within the state. This art gallery was founded in the 19th century and is voted as the oldest civic art gallery. You will also be privileged to be visiting the six largest galleries in Canada.
- Assiniboine Park - tucked in the Assiniboine forest is this splendid national park, which is home to some indigenous animals and birds. The park opens at 9am every day and if you are there early you can get to spend some quality time with the precious Kendra, Sarma or Reka.
- Fort Garry - this fort was built in the 18th century and was property of the Hudson Bay Firm. Today it stands as a great historical site located close to the Assiniboine River. A touch of professional medieval architecture and proximity to a serene environment is what makes this Fort a great tourist spot.
- Dalnavert - the museum was once a house that belonged to Sir Hugh Macdonald but was renovated to make it a historical learning center. The house is designed with typical Queen Ann Architecture and revamped with a Victorian style interior. The museum, however closed down in late 2013, but you can have a free view of the architecture and perhaps take some pictures.
- Esplanade Riel - this is a bridge that was completed in 2003 with a length of 197m. It is named after Louis Riel, an influential politician who was instrumental in the founding of the Manitoba province. Not only is the bridge a beautiful creation, it makes for a great photo taking spot while you view the city with the river snaking through it.
Winnipeg is quite an active city with lots of commercial projects going on every day. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs in the city in case you want to eat and have a drink later.