Grand Rapids Airport better known as Gerald R. Ford International Airport is a commercial facility that is located twenty one kilometers southeast of Grand Rapids. Formerly known as Kent County Airport, it was renamed in 1999 December in honor of the former president. It boasts to be the largest commercial airport in West Michigan but takes the second position in Michigan State, after Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport.
It serves 23 domestic cities as well as other international destinations. The year 2014 was its best year when it broke its service record of serving over two million passengers. Airport transfers from this facility to the city center are not a problem because you can use any of the options such as taxis, vans and car hire services. Car hire companies have their booths at the arrivals hence you will not have a difficult time getting one.
Attractions in Grand Rapids
Visitors who know the history of this city are always proud to tour it, and you will have a great experience to be in this boyhood home of the 38th president of the United States, Mr. Gerald Ford. The following are some of the attractions you should drive your rental car to and enjoy your time out.
- Gerald R. Form Presidential Museum – A visit to this museum gives you the feeling that you have ever been in the president’s office in the White House, because there is a model of the Oval Office just like it was in his reign. There are other designs like the Meyer May House that will give you a clear picture of how it was back in the days.
- Grand Rapids Children’s Museum – Children under the age of 10 years will have a great time in this museum, with its hands-on exhibits and colorful areas for playing. It is a good place for physical activities and a meeting place as children from different places meet each other and make friends.
- The Public Museum – The exhibits in this facility tell of the history and people of Michigan. In here, there is a reconstruction of a Grand Rapids street, that has complete storefronts that look exactly as they were in the 1890's. There are many other ancient displays such as West Michigan’s American Indian. To get the exact feel of it you will have to drive your hired car there and enjoy the tour.
- Blandford Nature Center – When you need to relax your mind in a serene environment then this is the place to be. You can stroll in the woods and fields, or just relax by the ponds and streams. In addition to relaxing in here, you will learn a lot concerning the natural systems, environment, sustainable agriculture and farming in general.
- John Ball Zoo – It features various animals from different corners of the globe. Apart from watching the lovely animals you can participate in different activities like swinging down a 4-story zipline, it is a thrilling experience.
There are other top attraction sites in Grand Rapids, and even though they are differently located, you will not have to worry because with a rental car you can drive to every corner of this city.